Monday, December 1, 2008

The Road to Recovery



Mike's eye is looking REALLY good. I honestly thought that stitching it three days after the injury would be too late, but apparently the dead flesh that was trimmed off may be attaching. YAY!

I put the medicine in his eye, so it looks a little "gelly" in the photo and it only has the slightest amount of goob collecting. I don't think that's too awful bad considering his eyelid was 85% ripped off his head. I forgot to ask Dr. Adam about removing the sutures, but I'll watch them and when it looks like it's healed nicely and the sutures are loose, I'm sure we can take them out easily enough.

Adam did a really good job. I think little Mikey just may end up with a normal eye! :-)

Mike really loves the attention he's getting while away from the rest of the colts. He gets attention out there, but not as dedicated.

I have made fun of Mike and how he doesn't compare to the new Arab we brought home recently, but dang! he's really looking nice right now and I even made a comment that he's just as dang pretty in his own way. He's beautiful when he spots something of interest and perks his ears up and arches his neck. He's filling out nicely too.

He tried to yank Jay's cap off his head tonight. You have to watch him or he'll grab things and run off with them. Dad leaned his crutches on a tree one day and Mike had one of them and was carrying it away.

Weanling Maggie is in the barn with him to keep him company. She nickered when I walked into the barn. She's certainly going to be a nice horse some day too. She's sure a cutie.




2 comments:

Lulu said...

I tried to comment on your last post, but blogger ate it. Looks like you are doing well with Mikey's eye. My wenaling filly recently scratched her eye....phew that road to recovery has been slow.

(lindsey from the HT list)

Nosnikta said...

That poor filly has had a rough time! I'm sure she'll recover fine under your watchful eye!