Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mikey Fay Baker


Dr. Adam came over today with plans to cut off Mikey's hanging eyelid. When he looked at it, he pondered and thought there's enough live lid there that he thought maybe we could save it. He felt horrible that he didn't come look at it on Wednesday night but said we could try.

Sooooo he dosed him up with sedative and started in on numbing the area with a local. Poor Mike was so doped up I thought for sure he was just going to plop to his belly. Dad held his head and I banded his forelock in the finest Cyndi Lauper style to keep it up out of the way.

At one point the needle popped off the syringe and numbing solution can FLYING toward Jay and me. Miraculously none hit us. It was kinda funny and prompted Jay and Adam to discuss all the accidental injections they received during "vetty procedures". Jay has been inadvertantly vaccinated for black-leg. He says that's why his legs are so white (snort).

Dr. Adam trimmed off external dead and dried tissue from both sides of the lid. Then he proceeded to the stitching. I must admit that does take some skill to avoid poking out the eyeball. I was amazed. I told him that Colleen would be sad that she couldn't have the chunk of eyelid we had planned to cut off, so I took pictures for her instead! He laughed :-)

Mikey is no longer a "free horse". But that's ok. He isn't what you would call a valuable horse but he's so dang sweet that you just have to give him a chance. OH! He's not going to that new home because I found out that THEY thought I was talking about Maggie. Um... no.

In any case, Mikey will stay here. Especially now that he has a special need to watch out for that eye. Dr. Adam commented several times that he was a really good little guy.

We were trying to think of how we can keep that eye protected while it heals. I ran to the house to get the fly mask that Shel gave us at the Wahoo sale. It's big enough that it shouldn't rub on his stitches and will help to keep dirt and other crap off it. He looks like a TOTAL dork with it on though lmao.

I have bute, cream, and powder we will administer over the next week or so. If the eye starts to look "off" at all, Adam said he would come over and we'll try something else.. or then cut it off. It sure would be nice if it would stick though. I wasn't sure how I was going to glue fake eyelashes on him... but I thought those with glitter would be cute!




2 comments:

Horses Are Our Lives said...

I had a horse that tore the eyelid. We were at a show and the show vet stitched it. She had rubbed her head on the stall and must have caught her eye on her bucket hanger or a latch. You could never tell, even the next day.

Nosnikta said...

Wow, that's good to hear. When I went back out to check him last night it was swollen, but looked good. He looked a lot happier too.

He had some goobies in the corner of it and let me wipe those out. That made me feel better about applying the ointment I'm supposed to put on twice a day.

And! he actually wanted me to rub his head all around his eye. I was careful not to bump the stitched part, but he was really wanting the area around it rubbed.