Saturday, December 13, 2008

Coltish Ways

While Ivan and Spike took Clarissa and Dan to Chance Ridge to ride last night, Jay and I got something to eat, came home, and played with colts in the dark. We didn't accomplish much other than petting and playing, but it's always fun to play with the colts.

Tres, the gorgeous young Arab, is warming up to his life here. He's getting better and better about allowing us to approach him and moving our hands over his body. He's definitely going to take a lot more patience than some horses. He's soooooo pretty though.

Little Mags is a ball of fur. She reminds me of a bear rug. When you dig your fingers into her hair, it's difficult to find where the hair ends and her body begins! Jay says she looks like a mule :-). I think she's beautiful.

Speaking of mules, I got a shot of TBC (Tall Black Colt) with Jay. There are bad angles and low light so TBC looks muley and Jay looks like Colonel Sanders. TBC was NAUGHTY last night. As I was petting someone else he came up behind me for his attention. He does that all the time, so I didn't think much of it until I felt teeth grab the skin on the back of my hamstring. HOLY CRAP! I swung my arm around at him and screeched! Jay was laughing wondering what happened, so I walked over and demonstrated to him :-) (hee hee).

I took Mike's band out of his forelock and I really need to take his stitches out today. His eyelid healed FANTASTIC! I'm so happy we tried to save it. I don't think he will have any problems with it at all.

At one point I was standing with Tres, talking calmly and petting him. Somebody kicked the feeder and that set off a chain-reaction in the herd. Great. Just when I was thinking Tres might be trusting me, the entire herd of colts takes off at a dead run through the pen. Naturally his instinct kicks in and he tears away from me. They were gorgeous in the moonlight and I wish I had had my camera out at that time. They circled around and came back toward me looking for the source of the noise. Nobody would go back to the feeder until I walked over there first and then they realized it wasn't going to eat me, so it must be ok.

Rojo was a lover last night. I kept trying to get a picture of him, and the best I got was his face trying to get closer to me!





Red is one cute stocky little thing. I saw him trotting around the other day and couldn't believe the sweet slow collected pleasure trot I was witnessing. I wonder if I caught a glimpse of something or if he was just being collectively lazy. He's sure packed with muscle though. Cute.

The A-Team was across the fence looking for attention. Look at how LG stands... all cocked out and hangin' out like one of the guys. Then Annie is next to him all pretty and standing square, poised like the beautiful girl she is.

Ya gotta love 'em. Today is fairly mild (although the wind just opened our storm door and let the cat in) and I hope to get some good time in with them.

No comments: