Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Gawky Pre-Teens

Nice day. Pulled Wink out mostly because he was so annoyingly attentive and he slipped his head into the halter. I wanted to bring him outside the pen just to hang out with the peeps. Ness led him around a few obstacles in the yard. They went around the "still-not-finished" hitching post... wandered around the well-head past my concrete drunken-man who appears to be flipping people off (but really it's just his jug and cigar). They went across hoses and extension cords, and between vehicles.

Then Ness tossed the lead over his neck, tied it on, and asked for a leg up. Ummmm ok! She got on the off-side... stepped on my hand and got poop on it... and they puttered around the yard a bit with just halter and lead. They did that a couple times and then he decided to toss her a buck. She got through the first one as I shouted for her to just slide off. She got halfway through the 2nd buck as she was sliding off and landed on her feet. He stopped and stood. I walked over... saw he was settled just fine, and told her to get back on. She lifted her leg for me and I hefted her back on. He didn't try bucking again. I walked with them as we went the full way around the house and he was fine.

I took a few pictures. He is totally downhill because they ... well they were downhill. So here I got two tall lanky pre-teens working together lol.... but they did a really nice job.

I grabbed a bag of cotton-balls that were sitting there from some doctoring of warts (gross)... and started to wave them in front of him. He didn't care, but he was holding his breath. My arm about fell off before he FINALLY took a step toward me. He didn't sigh... but he came forward so I stopped and praised him. Then I got the lick and chew. Good boy.

He's going to be sweet.

At one point Ness said "He doesn't move very well off my legs"... but apparently he did because she got him to move quite fast at one point lol.... I told her really does move off your legs and to feel how sensitive he is at this stage. That's a lot easier than having to use a spur or to wear your leg out pounding a dead-side. Light legs, baby... light legs.

He'll get there. And then! he fell asleep while she was sitting on him. Good boy.

No comments: