Sunday, February 8, 2009

Goat-Tying and Roping Girlies

Lancaster County is awesome that they offer clinics such as this. We didn't take one of our own horses, but there were some available for the girls to work on trotting dismounts for goat-tying. I would really like a more intermediate clinic for girls like Heather and Vanessa to attend, but this was FABULOUS for those just learning the tricks.
Jayda was travelling back from her great-grandfather's 95th b-day so she couldn't go, but Makena went with us! Last night Vanessa showed her the method of tying with the goat string. She picked it up in about two minutes. Last night they were practicing on their own feet, and today it was with an actual goat, but the goat Kena had was a dream. They used him just for the little girls because, although not a fainting goat.. he was a lazy goat and liked to just lay down for them lmao. Makena did a really good job today.
Ness and Heather were hitting their bales and dummyheads pretty consistently. One of the instructors (cute early 20s boy who sends them into blushes) spent time with them just on fine-tuning their throws. Jana's daughter, Ashley, had me laughing. She was sure trying hard, but she had a new and stiff rope that was difficult for her to coil. I didn't realize that was the lesson they were working on and I walked over and coiled her rope for her lmao! oops! So after I realized that, then I just tried to be helpful by making suggestions to her. She is so dang cute and she was so funny to watch and listen to. I have no idea why I didn't get pictures of Jana's other daughter, Allison. Allison is one who is so entertaining in what comes out of her face that I think I was just intent on listening to her while my camera sat idle in my hand.
I got a real cute picture of Heather today. She looks so grown up and pretty in cowgirl style. It's not easy to get pictures like that of her because once she knows you're taking a shot.. she'll make a doofy face. I really love this picture of her. Oh...! lol Last night when we were teaching Makena the tie we told her to throw her hands up as soon as she was done. We said "Show us your SUPER STAR!" and we'd all laugh as she would toss her hands in the air. In one shot I had my camera still in one spot and she jumped up when she was done. I hollared SUPERSTAR! and she started to lift her arms. Justy (one of the instructors and a very well-known barrel racer in these parts) was laughing (she kicks Buck's and my butts by seconds when we attempt to run with her). It was really cool.
Shelbert (aka Shelby) who is one of our junior 4-H leaders rode along. She is certainly one very entertaining teen girl. And she is also one girl who I wouldn't hesitate to say "Go pick the horse you want to ride" because I know that girl can ride ANYTHING! She went along and she rode Heather's Cherokee today. She gave Heather some pointers on how to hold her hands softly with slight cues to get him to side-pass for her. Heather listened, and boom... off Cherokee goes sidepassing. That was a really good feeling today too.

It's days like today when it doesn't matter if my own legs are on either side of a horse. The girls I adore were out there learning and having fun. It was great.

No comments: