Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Turn to be Thankful




I've been reading others' blogs on how they are thankful that horses are in our lives. It inspired me to jot down my thoughts.

Growing up, my horses were a part of me. It wasn't just that "I had horses"... they were a part of who I was and how I lived my life.

When I graduated from high school, I moved 500 miles away to college. Man, I missed my horses. I hooked up with a girl who was just as far from home and missed her horses too. So, we joined the college Rodeo Club lol. We didn't have our horses there, but at least we were able to spend time with other horsey folks. The bad thing was that it seemed not many other of the members of that club had their horses there either! Most of our time was spent partying with this group and just talking about horses. It helped, but it wasn't enough.

Each time I would visit home, my first stop was at the barn and whoopin' it up with my Rowdy horse. I'm sure he wondered "Now why don't she write?" Gawd, I missed him.

Then I got married and moved to Omaha. While much much closer to my horses but still an hour away from them, I pretty much remained horseless. Then babies came. I had dreams of them riding through the fields with me... teaching them to show! oh wow, we had such plans! Then it dawned on me that horses weren't in the business plan in my husband's mind. At that time, I wasn't sure I would be able to have horses in my life again. It was an empty feeling and very depressing.

One thing led to another and my husband and I divorced. Part of that was the fact that I don't make a very good trophy wife. Did you know trophy wives aren't supposed to speak unless spoken to? lmao... omg... imagine how THAT worked into my personality. You can guess the rest.

Then I met Jay. Jay walked into the room in all his cowboyness looking sexy as hell. I had been at a business meeting all day and was decked out in suit and heels with perfectly coiffed hair and full makeup... toting a briefcase. He wouldn't look at me. I elbowed a friend when I saw him and claimed him as mine. I spent the rest of the evening working ALL my charms on him and I think I stuffed 20 business cards in his pockets. He still wouldn't pay attention to me UGH!

Later I learned he was scared to death of me ROFLMAO!!!!!! That was after we had our first kiss on the middle of the dance floor.

Ok, so I digressed....... (enter Jay) into my life. And, enter horses back into my life.

He and I married, bought a house, bought a horse, brought Vanessa into our lives, bought another horse then packed up and moved "back home" to the area I grew up. Soon two horses turned into three, etc. Vanessa is growing up with them in a way that I had dreamt for with my two older daughters. She has far surpassed any savvy and skills I had at her age and I couldn't be more proud.

Now I can walk outside my front door and hollar "WOO HOOOOOO!" and you'll see several young horses' heads pop up and start to make their way to me. It's a fabulous feeling.

If I should find myself horseless again in my life, it would surely drain that life out of me and I would shrivel into a bitter husk of despair.

Ok, that was a little dramatic, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!!! :-)

2 comments:

Horses Are Our Lives said...

LOl, see that wasn't so hard! That is the makings of a beautiful love story! hehehe
I love reading about your life, god help me!

Nosnikta said...

LOLOL I do adore you.