Saturday, November 29, 2008

Flying







We have this horse. We have this WONDERFUL and crazy horse lol. We don't own him, but he lives with us and we hope he will live out his days with us. He is owned by a marvelous 9-fingered man whom I've known my entire life. We laugh that he used to babysit me. He once got in trouble from my parents for doing my homework for me. I can't recall the grade I got lol.

"Buck" is this horse who we've had soooo much fun with the past couple of years. I first met Buck when he was a 4yo. We were at the local watering hole and Buck was out in the trailer. One of my best friends at the time was with me. Since we're all pretty much related through marriages, etc. in my hometown, she and I knew that Rick wouldn't be angry if we went out, unloaded Buck and rode around!

We rode double-bareback through town laughing and having a jolly old time. Then her hubby came out to join in the fun. He doesn't ride (lol oops). He puffed up in bravado fashion and got on Buck. He didn't stay there for very long, but he rode him for about three steps lmao! I've never seen anyone fall off in such slow motion before.

Fast forward about oh... ten years? Rick and Buck had spent a lot of time attending rodeos, team-pennings, roping jackpots, etc. The stories about Buck are very entertaining. He looooooved to run, but sometimes forgot to stop. He never tires... NEVER.

You could ask him to climb to the roof of the barn and he would. You could ask him to jump off a cliff and he would. You could ask him to slow down and enjoy the scenery... THAT will never happen lol.

A few years back Rick and Buck were at a team-roping event and Rick lost his thumb. I'm told it was quite fascinating because it ripped the tendon out clear up to his elbow and the thumb was still tangled in the rope that the steer was dragging through the dirt. In any case, Rick's roping time was put on hold for a while. DURING that time, he offered Buck to me to ride in speed events!

Me: "Um, are you serious?"
Him: "Hell yeah.. he's just standing around getting older and fatter."
Me.: "That would be so coool!!!!!"
Him: "You know where he is, go get him."
Me: "Awesome!"
Him: "Good luck getting him stopped."
LOL okayyyyyyyyyy.

So I went and got him :-).

By that time we figured ole Buck had to be about 17 years old. OH MAN IS HE FUN! I had taken him to the arena and ran a few practice runs through barrels and poles before our first show. Apparently I didn't let him out like I should have because at our first show we had people rolling on the ground as we used up every inch of that arena trying to get through the patterns lmao! Omg... I think we knocked four of the six poles down. I honestly think he likes the sound of the pole when it hits his head. I've since learned that he LOVES the sound of buckets flying when he kicks them through a keyhole pattern.

By the end of the season we had each other figured out fairly well. We sometimes even made it through the poles without knocking ANY down! He helped me win the high-point buckle at our local saddle club and I was beaming.

Now my 11yo daughter is riding him and she rides him much better than I ever did. Some people look at me cockeyed and wonder what kind of mother I am to put my child on the "psycho horse". Aw heck... Buck isn't psycho.. he's just very tightly wound lol and Vanessa rides him very well.

When you run him flat out, it feels like you are flying. I can honestly say I've never been a horse that I've was so sure-footed that you could put your ultimate trust in them like you can Buck. It's such a rush. HE is such a rush.

2 comments:

Horses Are Our Lives said...

maybe I need to come ride Bubba and you ride Buck at the playdays! ha!

Nosnikta said...

You should! It would be fun except that Ness has stolen Buck from me so if I ride, it will be trotting through the patterns on a 3yo! HA!

Tell me more about Bubba! I don't think I know him.