Saturday, July 4, 2009

Circle T-P Ranch on the 3rd of July

I think my sister-in-law is related to Larry the Cable Guy! Ok, she's not, but I have to laugh when a friend compared this situation to the entire City of Lincoln rearranging the 4th of July Holiday because of his concert.

My s-i-l is a doctor. She's a very good doctor! and she works hard and many hours. She is on call on the 4th. Sooooooo my brother asked if we could have our family 4th on the 3rd. Ok... got nothing else planned since our trip for some extreme trail-riding out west got put on hold. Sure, we'll do that.
Vanessa worked all day with Mom making chocolate-dipped strawberries, decorating a cake, peeling cucumbers, cleaning the patio furniture, etc.
Jay and I decided to ride two horses to town. Perfectly marvelous idea other than the fact that we didn't think of it sooner. Heck it's only four miles... we can be there in less than an hour.

So we saddle up and we're trotting trotting trotting. Ok, Janie and I were trotting trotting because Buck has such a fast walk you HAVE to trot and sometimes lope to keep up with him! I swear he's not QH but some gaited variety. He's such a funny guy.

On the way we realized, oops, it's five miles, not four. We never think about the mile back north when you get the four to the west. Oh well. We were only 45 minutes late :0). And not EVEN that late because my middle daughter drove up just as we were a block away! Heck, we're not late! But I SWEAR we rode faster than five freaking miles an hour. I'll bet Janie would agree with me.

We rode through the back entrance of the place and tied off to a tree. The horses seemed content there, got a drink, munched some grass, and then stood with legs cocked.
I took some pictures in the yard. Dad had the fountain running. He built it himself and it's such a soothing touch off the back deck. In addition, I was reminded of the swarm of bees he captured a couple of weeks ago! A swarm appeared and because Dad used to be a beekeeper of 400 hives, he gathered them up and put them in a hive of their own in the back yard. I had to get pretty close to get a picture of the guards by the entrance. Bees are truly an interesting society.

"Yay let's go and get some fireworks!" shouts my brother. (head cocks around) fireworks? I thought we weren't going to do the full-blasting thing we usually do. I just came to eat! "Nope" I'm told. (sigh) ok, my horses have been in holiday parades with people shooting off fireworks, they'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiine.

And they pretty much were. Some of the screechers and big boomers that caused Janie's head to come up pretty high, but she stood her ground and didn't pull back. I knew my brother had bought a giganto 300shot booming thing, so Jay and Dad drove back to our place and brought the trailer so we could put the horses in there so Janie could munch on some grain and hay without me worrying she'd pull back on her rope and flip herself over. They were cozy little kittens in there all night. It was good practice for them should I ever decide to attempt mounted shooting HA!

I got to see my grand-puppies! Zoe is THE cutest little corgi and I can't wait to puppy-sit! Ziggy is probably the most handsome weimeraner I've ever seen. He's only 7 months old and he's huge already. He's going to be a big boy! He's a little "dim" and he reminds us all very much of our viszla, Bronc, that passed away a few years ago. It's a sweet memory to look at Ziggy and his antics and remember Bronc.

Zoe was pretty interested in the horses. She wouldn't get too close, but I was worried she'd get more and more brave so held tight to her leash.

Soooooooo we ate, we shot off fireworks and then it started to pour rain. I had really been looking forward to a night-time ride back home, but I was glad we had the truck and trailer at 10:30 in the rain.

It ended up being a nice night with the family (and Larry's sister lmao). My 4yo niece is cute enough to squeeze to pieces. And she's SO smart! It was a hoot to sit and listen to her comments.

"That firework looked like a hula-girl!" "That firework looked like a firework!" "Now that's what I call dancing butterflies!" Now if I can just get her interested in ponies ;-)

No comments: